Things used in this project
This Tessel project pings a URL and causes an alarm light to run continuously if the status code is not 200.
If your website goes down, you want to be the first to know. Make it obvious when there's a problem by hooking up a big alarm light to a Tessel, which will ping your website every few seconds to check for trouble.
- Continuously off: all is well
- Continuously on: website being monitored is down
- Two-second bursts (on or off): system error; monitoring isn't working (reset the Tessel)
- Wire strippers (scissors work, if you're careful)
- Computer for programming
Setting up the hardware
- Plug in power to the lights
- USB power the Tessel (plug it in to your computer to program)
- Clone this repo
- From within the repo,
npm installto install dependencies
- Ensure your hardware is set up properly by running
tessel run relay-test.js. If nothing happens, check your connections and refer to the Relay Guide
index.js, change the wifi settings and site to monitor to suit your needs
- To run temporarily with logs,
tessel run index.js
- To program for long-term use,
tessel push index.js
- You can now unplug Tessel from your computer and power externally according to the guide
Did you replicate this project? Share it!I made one
Love this project? Think it could be improved? Tell us what you think!